Leanne’s Vanilla-Mint Smoothie
Our family went to visit friends at their lake cabin this summer… and that’s when it happened: My friend Leanne handed me a smoothie for breakfast. I took a sip not really expecting to have any kind of an aha moment or overly exciting experience. It had the same unpleasant greenish colour that my smoothies usually have. Oh yes that colour when mixing in those healthy greens…. plus I have not been enjoying the taste of mine all that much which has stopped me from making them on a regular basis. Instead I started searching for other healthy breakfast options.
But this smoothie was different- it tasted amazing! Even though it had similar ingredients than the ones I’m using. The simple but major difference was that she used fresh mint leaves to give it a great taste. It turned the smoothie into a delicious and refreshing drink.
I decided to try this at home and it has become my go-to breakfast and snack this summer (I am using less protein powder in the afternoon than in the mornings). Whenever I’m opting for this amazing refreshment and protein boost I truly enjoy it!
- One scoop of protein Powder (I’m using plant based Vanilla or Chocolate)
- 1 cup of milk (I’m using almond, cashew or coconut milk)
- A handful of frozen or fresh fruit to sweeten if desired (I usually use pineapple, mango or berries)
- A handful of frozen or fresh greens (I usually buy a package of mixed power greens in the salad section and freeze)
- Add water and ice cubes to achieve desired consistency
Add the mint: I bought fresh mint and stored it in the freezer plus I’m adding a few drops of mint extract. You can also brew a mint tea and let it cool down to use instead of milk.
That’s it… enjoy your delicious vanilla-mint or chocolate-mint smoothie!
As always: Get creative and add anything else that you can find in your fridge to nourish the body like chia seeds, hemp seeds or coconut flakes.
Hope you will enjoy this one as much as I do!
~ Yulia Sauter